Engineering, Advanced Manufacturing and Energy
Qualifications Wales is undertaking a review of qualifications in the Engineering, Advanced Manufacturing and Energy sector, a priority sector identified by Welsh Government. As part of this review, we will be speaking to employers, learning providers, learners and industry bodies about the range and suitability of qualifications offered in Wales.
Engineering, manufacturing and energy all have an extensive history in Wales and have consistently contributed to a balanced economy. The Manufacturing sector alone employs approximately 150,000 people in Wales across over 5,000 companies, demonstrating the importance of the sector.
The review will consist of interviews with stakeholders, focus groups with learners, a technical review of specifications, learner work and other key documentation that support key qualifications within the sector, an online questionnaire, as well an international comparison exercise where similarities and differences between equivalent qualifications offered in other countries will be compared with those here in Wales.
The aims of the review into the Engineering, Advanced Manufacturing and Energy sector are to:
- develop an understanding of the qualifications landscape;
- identify the views of partner organisations on the effectiveness of existing qualifications and the system itself to meet the needs of learners, employers and higher education institutions;
- consider the extent to which the qualifications are technically effective and fit for purpose;
- identify any lessons to be learned from qualifications in other comparable nations;
- decide whether Qualifications Wales should take, or recommend others to take, any actions to improve the effectiveness of qualifications or the system itself.
The review will run throughout 2019, with the technical review of qualifications taking place during the Summer. Awarding bodies will be contacted directly about the technical review. We intend to publish findings and any recommendations in Autumn 2020.
If you’d like to get involved in the review, please get in touch at Engineeringreview@QualificationsWales.org