Variation in GCSE, AS, and A level qualification results: 2023
This release presents statistics on changes in overall GCSE, AS and A level outcomes seen by maintained schools.
- Compared to 2022, average centre results for GCSE, AS and A level decreased in summer 2023, this is consistent with changes in national results, which were awarded broadly midway between 2019 and 2022
- A minority of centres saw an increase compared to 2022.
- The range of the changes in centre results between 2022 and 2023 is broadly similar to the range of annual changes in pre-pandemic years.
- Compared to 2019, overall centre results for GCSE, AS and A level increased in summer 2023 - however, some centres saw a decrease in results.
- There was substantial variation in changes across centres - generally, there were larger changes in centre results at AS and A level than GCSE which is consistent with the changes in national results.
- Across GCSE, AS and A level, centres that saw a larger decrease in 2022 tended to see either an increase or a smaller decrease in 2023, and vice versa - the strength of this pattern varies between qualification types and grade thresholds.
Tel: 01633 373 292
Tel: 01633 373 222